I’m already missing the Great British Bake Off. The programme always spurs us on to cook, bake and most certainly eat more whilst gaining a few extra pounds. That said I am a basic baker, a home baker. Sometimes my bakes may look an absolute disaster but could possibly qualify for the ‘Hollywood’ handshake!
I have a beautiful tin that sits proudly on the side in my kitchen and it will generally house the bake of the moment. Over the last week I’ve made a banana cake with ripe stinky bananas, a batch of basic no nut chocolate brownies and jammy boobie biscuits. Home baked is so much better than shop bought but even I am a realist!! Life is busy, non-stop and convenient so we often buy shop bought cakes and biscuits too. I have 4 children and just the one husband so as you may appreciate it’s hard to keep up with their baking needs.
……..But my jam cushion biscuits are from my childhood, renamed as jammy boobies by my children and so delicious I always double the batch. From baking ingredients to my treat tin in less than an hour.
Have a go!!
225g self-raising flour
Pinch of salt
100g caster sugar
1 tbsp. milk
1 tsp. vanilla
Jam, as required
Bake for 15 minutes
- Pre-heat the oven to 190C.
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Into a food processor or mixer add all the ingredients, mix into a dough.
- Dust the work surface with a little flour. Roll the dough into a large sausage and cut into 12 portions.
- Roll each portion out into a ball, place on the baking tray and flatten into a disk. Make a hole in the centre and fill with jam. Repeat with the remaining dough and bake.
These delicious treats will keep for 5 days in a sealed container. A word of caution, go steady when you steal one immediately from the oven as the jam will be molten hot!