Chocolate and amaretto paired together is a marriage made in foodie heaven. This is one of my aunty Anna’s cakes recipes. I have increased the volume of the amaretto liquor and dark chocolate which has now transported it into another indulgent dimension. A family favourite in our home and it makes a perfect celebration cake with a layer of fresh amaretto cream slathered over the top.
Preparation time: 15 minutes Cooking time: 50 minutes
4 large eggs
50g caster sugar
200g softened butter
200g self-raising flour
100g ground almonds
1 sachet of Pane di Angeli
30ml warm milk
200g dark chocolate, chopped
200g amaretto biscuits (the hard ones), broken and crushed, uneven rubble
2 tbsp amaretto liquor
Preheat oven: 180°C / Gas 4
- For this cake I like to use a large bowl and wooden spoon and not a mixer as you want to keep the texture of the biscuits and chocolate. In a bowl crack the eggs and mix with the caster sugar and butter.
- Chop the chocolate and bash the amaretto biscuits. The amaretto biscuits are ideal if they are smashed into uneven pieces. The best way to do this is to pop the biscuits into a bag and bash with a wooden spoon.
- Add the flour and ground almonds into the eggs, sugar and butter mix and stir well.
- Warm the milk, add the pane di angeli and mix well. Once it becomes frothy pour it into the bowl.
- Add in the chocolate, amaretto biscuits, amaretto liquor and stir well. The mixture will smell amazing at this point.
- Pour the mixture into a lined and greased tin, push down evenly and bake.
Carmela’s tip: Pane di angeli, can be purchased from Italian delis, however 1tsp of baking powder and 2 tsp of vanilla extract will be fine in its place.