Everyone love chocolate cake and I never need an excuse to have a coffee and cake break, however I very rarely make cakes at home. Chiara my youngest daughter woke up this morning with the hunger (her words) for a brownie! Yet again everyone loves a brownie but I fancied something a little lighter and not quite so stodgy. This cake is gluten free!!! Now please fear not I am not going to fill you with lots of posts and recipes on gluten free givings and clean eating, it’s just not in my nature. But that said and done this cake is just so good. Whipped egg whites lighten it while Frangelico liqueur give is a slightly nutty flavour. Due to my Chrons disease I’m staying away from nuts so my nutty need will come in the form on a little boozy liquid instead. Have a go and let me know what you think.
Oven: 180C Fan ass
9 inch buttered loose base cake tin, greased and lined
240g dark chocolate
120g unsalted butter
5 large eggs, separated
145g caster sugar
2 glugs Frangelico
Icing sugar to dust (optional)
- Preheat the oven and prep your tin as mentioned above.
- Into a small glass bowl break in the dark chocolate and add the butter. Place the bowl over a small pan of simmering water and allow the contents to melt gently. Do no let the water from the pan touch the glass bowl.
- Into two separate bowls crack the eggs, yolks into one and whites into the other. Into the yolks add the sugar and incorporate fully.
- Whisk the whites until they form stiff peaks.
- Scrape the melted chocolate into the egg yolk mixture and stir.
- Pour in the frangelico and polenta. Stir well to incorporate fully.
- Gently fold the egg whites, half at a time into the chocolate mixture and combine.
- Scrap into the cake tin and bake for 35-40 minute. Test, allow to cool and then sprinkle with icing sugar. Enjoy with a long espresso.